Monday 4 March 2019

Twisted Tales from the Northwest by Mari Collier

Twisted Tales is a collection of short stories that falls into the horror genre but without the expected bloodshed.

Here you will find, amongst others, tales of people stuck in time loops, a town insistent on burial customs, newly awakened vampires and a haunted house.

To me, this collection was a hit and a miss so I’m glad it was on a free promotion. And unfortunately, the hits didn’t really stay with me either. When I finished the book I had to go back to the beginnings of each tale to refresh my memory of what the story was about as nothing really stood out for me. I know what elements the author was using to convey the anthology as horror, but very often the story had no scary element; whether physical or mental. Some stories would just end and that was that. Sort of an “oh, that’s it?” moment. A number of editing mistakes crept through which also hindered enjoyment of the stories.

I expected more but it turned out to be an average read that didn’t really resonate with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment