Monday 4 March 2019

Destructive Interference: The Devastation of Matthew Morrisey by Michael Christopher Carter

Destructive Interference is a paranormal standalone thriller and tells the tale of parallel realities and what might have been.

Matthew Morrisey and his family have been through a rough time recently. What with their daughter, Abi, battling leukaemia and the long hours at work to land the account for the new water vehicle the army can use, they could use some family time together at Christmas. Abi’s present from their neighbour, however, needs new batteries so Matthew sets off to the local store on Christmas day to buy some. Outside the shop he encounters a homeless man and does something he would not normally do—he gives him money. Little does he know that his return home will not be as expected. His family have disappeared from, his neighbours don’t recognise him and some form of authorities seems to be after him. What is going on?

The author has taken two realities to show us what could have happened to Matthew based on an accident that may or may not have happened when he was young. Each reality depicts a completely different life for Matthew—one from rags to riches and the other from hero to zero. The realities are intertwined with each other as the characters play roles in each. The story ends with the possibility of what happens when someone is given opportunities and runs with them or has things taken away and doesn’t know how to cope.

I kept turning pages to see where the story was going as I understood the paranormal twist to it, but I didn’t really feel it as such. I wasn’t really drawn in by the characters and felt that some were OTT while others just blended in. The ending threw me because even with the author’s explanation of destructive interference it felt like he was saying no good deed goes unpunished and it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.


I’m not sure what I expected but I felt ambivalent at the end and it was one of those books that didn’t make a lasting impact on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment