Friday 2 October 2015

Phoenix-Weaver Series#4-Vaun Murphrey

With the new compound comes a new set of problems. Cass and Silver are about to face the most difficult event they could ever imagine. With Gerome gone, so much of the future is unclear. New friends and new foes come into the twin's lives with epic results. Is the journey for the weavers over, or will this new chapter be the start of an exciting fresh venture?
As usual with this series, I was hoping for a slight change on the previous story pattern and writing technique, but if anything the series has become slightly predictable. It's as though the author has looked at a template and gone: difficult love story-check, action scenes-check, family issues-check, drama-check. She has just taken her characters and woven them in. Now in essence this is the basis for most stories, I just felt that throughout the series this didn't work.  On a positive note , the author has envisaged a gem of an idea, but the execution is just not there. A case in point are the journeys into the web-while I am sure the author has lived these in her mind's eye and was part of the adventure as she was writing, she fails to convey her ideas to the reader with clarity. Trying to keep up with who can go into the web, in which section, what they can do and why they can't go there anymore becomes a chore-one I just skipped over. Unfortunately a few more negatives stuck out for me-the emotions and their descriptions. Sometimes people are just people. They don't need to erupt into anger like an earthquake or ride a wave of love like a tsunami (my words). Sometimes it's just best to say a person was angry and leave it up to the reader to decide on the level. Also I found her characters tend to go from one extreme emotion to the next-outright anger to bliss enveloped in a cocoon of comfort-far too quickly. While Silver and Cass have matured enough for sexual relations, I found the amount of times that sexual innuendo or info sharing was inappropriate-especially just after a battle. Certain happenings do not need to be mentioned in front of others. The story held too many epic scenes in it-boom!boom!boom! from one scene to the next without enough context set up or follow through. Corinne's fix-everything shield was a little too good to be true. And now to my favourite part-the editing. The last chapter of the previous book was copied into the first chapter of this book and six pages after this we were already mixing up where and were.
So unfortunately just an average review for me. If I was not reviewing all four books for Netgalley I don't think I would have gone passed the first one and will certainly not be going any further. I'm sure a number of people will enjoy this, but it did not hold enough interest for me. Best wishes to the author for future endeavours.
Thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to review this.

No comments:

Post a Comment