Description from Amazon:
A small American town.
A brutally cold autumn.
A killer is at work.
Two bodies are found; two slayings that the police treat as unrelated. But
games-creator Grace MacBride knows different.
The murders are exact copies of those in a game she’s designing - one that
already has hundreds of eager players.
As the copycat killings mount up, Grace knows that she is both suspect and
potential victim.
And with the serial killer getting closer, she is drawn into a murderous game
of cat and mouse . . .
This is the first book I have read by this
author(s) and I enjoyed it! I know it’s rather old and I seem to have somehow missed
the series, but I must say that it had a quirk to it that made it fun to read.
Not that reading about murders should be
fun. But I liked how the sets of detectives were brought together over shared
cases and how the murders were based on the levels within the game. The way the
murders were pulled off was quite ingenious but you could tell that the book
was older in how the characters interacted.
Speaking of characters, the whole
Monkeewrench group is such a diverse bunch with fabulous characters. And their
backstory about protecting Grace and the history they share makes for an
intriguing element. However, the descriptions of Annie... really? Apparently
she is large. Very large. In fact, she is described as obese and fat, and
having men fall at her feet at the way she walks. And this is said over and
over again. Enough already. But Charlie the dog? Super sweet...
I enjoyed the slight romantic element of it
and how the author did not hold back on whether it was good or bad guys who
died. The layers of the book are good, so the backstories, the murders, the
connection between detectives who get to meet, and how it all plays out keeps
you going until the end. With a twist, of course.
And while I appreciate when authors put in
a chapter of the next book to entice you to buy the second one, for me it’s a
bugbear as I think I still have more to read in the book and the next thing it’s
done. Oh well... I’m going to try the second book in the series too.
No comments:
Post a Comment