Sunday 13 November 2022

It Starts with a Fish by Emily Kemme

 It Starts with a Fish is a collection of blog posts detailing events or even non-events in the author’s life. It’s a random amalgamation of experiences running from 2015 to 2020 and covers family, pets, friends, and everyday occurrences.

 

While I thank the author for the clean script grammar- and punctuation-wise, I must confess I did not finish the book. It’s very rare that I don’t finish one, especially one to review. However, about forty pages before the end, I had to give up.

 

This is not a reflection on the posts themselves, it was the amalgamation into one book that did it for me. As blog posts, these work very well as they are a glimpse into the author’s life and can be read and savoured as posted. Altogether, however, they felt like too much information all at once. I was hoping for more humour or life lessons, and maybe if these were read weekly or monthly, the “telling” of experiences would work for the reader. But this felt more like a diary. If I knew the author, this might have been different, but I guess I didn’t feel the personal connection and the posts didn’t resonate with me. Another reason the book didn’t feel right was that info was repeated. For example, if the stories were read when posted, the author may have to remind the reader of family names or other info just to bring them back to where the previous post left off. Here, reading the posts one after the other, you’d have the reader reminded each time of a family name or the fact that a certain person played this role in the family.

 

I commend the author on putting so much of herself out there for the world to see, but the format was not enough for me to hold my interest.

 

Thanks to NetGalley and Loudhailer Books for the opportunity to review the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment