Wednesday 17 June 2020

The Reckoning by John Grisham


“A new John Grisham,” I cried. “I can’t wait!”

I should not have bothered. I have been a fan for years and his cleverly thought out legal twists and turns have kept me occupied for hours. This book, however, was not even close to being an average work of his.

It starts off with a bang where we have Pete Banning, a decorated WW2 veteran, who kills a local pastor and hands himself in, with the words, “I have nothing to say.” During the time he is incarcerated he does nothing to defend himself and is eventually executed.

The story goes back to Pete’s time in the war and the Bataan Death March and goes into extreme detail about the torture they endured and how he made it out. These scenes are terrifying and truly take the readers through horrors. They don’t, however, point to why Pete did what he did.

Before his execution we are introduced to the sub-plots of his children and their journeys, the legal battle for his land as well as how his sister fits into it, his wife’s mental illness and her forced commitment to a hospital and the guesses as to why he killed the pastor.

In the last ten pages of the book all is revealed and it’s literally a case of, “I waited for that?” While it may have been shocking in those years, it doesn’t have the same impact now. The whole thing felt disjointed, as though there were aspects to the story mapped out and he knew they had to be inserted into specific areas but then . . .

Disappointing and one I wouldn’t read again.

No comments:

Post a Comment