Thursday 18 January 2018

And then I met Margaret by Rob White

And then I met Margaret is a collection of short stories where the author details how ordinary gurus changed his life.

The author takes you on a journey via his short stories of life lessons he has learned. He begins the book by citing the self-help gurus he has met and the valuable information they shared with him. The rest of the stories begin with a myth he once believed about life, and end with what he deems the actual truth about it. The stories range from his early years and follow his career path and family life.

I decided to read this as it was onlinebookclub’s book of the month and was up for discussion and I must say that it caused a heated debate. The first issue was that of a misleading title. Most of us believed it was a romance novel due to the title, font and background colours, and were then confused as Margaret had a tiny part to play in one story which certainly did not seem pivotal. I found that for every “good” lesson the author learned, someone had to be put in a bad light, and the author seemed to focus a lot on material gains. One of the stories had a scenario which has been used as a “life lesson” before and it got me wondering as to whether it had actually happened to the author or whether it was borrowed for emphasis. There were also a number of unnecessary grammatical errors.


Overall I didn’t really enjoy the book and found so many of the “lightbulb” moments just common sense. I also questioned as to why these people who had such an impact on him were named “ordinary gurus”. Firstly the use of ordinary was condescending and secondly because surely anyone who imparts any wisdom could then be called a guru? I don’t mind self-help books, but this was not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment