Thursday 1 September 2016

The Hauntings of Playing God by Chris Dietzel

This is a dystopian novel based on the last people left alive in the world.

The De-Evolution wiped out almost all of humankind. The last few humans alive are just trying to get by day after day, looking after themselves and the Blocks they take care of. Blocks are humans born without the ability to speak, hear, move or see and are basically just living corpses. Morgan is a 90 year-old woman doing what she can to take care of the Blocks under her supervision. But day by day her strength is waning and as Blocks die naturally she realises that the fewer Blocks there are, the easier it will be to look after the remainder. Should she wait for the Blocks to die a natural death or help nature along a little? Then the nightmares begin...


This book had some rave reviews and I was looking forward to it. I must have put it down about six times and picked it up again, determined to reach the end, hoping for a riveting finale. I was unfortunately disappointed. A lot of the last chapters were in essence the same story with a different character repeated over and over again. I'm sure a lot of people read very deeply into the subject and deliberated on life and the universe, but to me it was a simple message drawn out for far too long. I didn't like the idea of the Blocks and why they were there and alive, and I didn't enjoy the way that the humans seem to accept their fates so easily. At least the grammar and punctuation were not bad, but the story was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment