Saturday 23 January 2016

Driven by Kelley Armstrong

This is a fantasy/supernatural novel aimed at mature young adults and up.

Elena Michaels is now the Alpha of the pack. When a psychotic ex-enforcer of the pack turns up for re-admittance, Elena must make the difficult decision  of whether or not to include him with all the rules and regulations accorded to the pack, or leave him as an outcast. In the meantime Davis Cain, a not so bright mutt, has come home from a date to find two of his family murdered while still in wolf form. He approaches the pack for help, and so begins a tale of vengeance and retribution, where in werewolf terms it really is an eye for an eye.

Having read a number of Kelley Armstrong books previously, I thought that I would be able to catch up relatively quickly with previous characters. It turns out I really had to stretch my memory banks to remember some of the names and characters. So much has changed since those books that I felt I was reading a standalone. While the author tries to recap some of the characters in the book, I still found myself confused. I really enjoy her writing though. It flows easily and the story paces itself naturally. Some characters were merely touched on so I wasn't sure why they were introduced to the story-could be part of the storyline I missed in previous books. The story itself is light reading (with a generous amount of wolf violence), and by that I mean you don't have to concentrate too intensely on the plot. What really irked me was the copy I received on my kindle as the formatting was all over the place with some words in a larger font, letters all over the place and sentences broken up for no reason.

An enjoyable afternoon read, nothing absolutely amazing but a good filler in the series.


Thanks to NetGalley for the chance to review the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment