Sunday 16 August 2015

The In-Betweener Vol. 1 by Ann Christy

Before I begin reading a book, I like to see other reviews about it to get the general public feeling and see whether I eventually agree or not. Unfortunately this can be counterproductive as there were so many rave reviews about this book but I didn't feel quite the same. I have never heard of the author before and it's definitely not a badly written book, it just didn't give me the same thrill as it seemed to give many others.
It's basically a zombie book for young adults without actually having zombies in it. The heroine is 19 year-old Emily, one of the original nanite receivers, who has to battle with a world gone south. The nanites were invented to cure disease and restructure failing bodies, but the desire to cure all comes at a price. Now she faces  in-betweeners (dead but not as dead as you think), deaders (more dead than in-betweeners) and humans (who can be the worst of the lot) in her fight for survival. The author does well in offering a back story alongside the present in order to show readers the events leading up to the world crisis. I also commend the way she started the book with one set of characters and then turned it around to weave them into the main character's story.

While I didn't love the story as much as other people did, I found it pleasant to read with good story continuity and no glaring editing errors.  A major factor is that it is too short and doesn't give enough of the story to grab me and make me want to buy the second book as I feel the same would happen in the second. I guess the "big event" at the end of the first is meant to be a lead on but since this sort of thing happens in a lot of zombie books I was expecting it to happen, so unfortunately no surprise there.  Still, an enjoyable read and good idea for a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment