Description from Amazon:
We had no warning that she would come
back...
Welcome to Hollow’s Edge - a picture-perfect neighbourhood where everyone has
each other’s backs. At least, that’s how it used to be, until the night Brandon
and Fiona Truett were found dead...
Two years ago, branded a grifter, thief and sociopath by her friends and
neighbours, Ruby Fletcher was convicted of murdering the Truetts. Now, freed by
mistrial, Ruby has returned to Hollow’s Edge. But why would she come back? No
one wants her there, least of all her old housemate, Harper Nash.
As Ruby’s return sends shockwaves through the community, terrified residents
turn on each other, and it soon becomes clear that not everyone was honest
about the night the Truetts died. When Harper begins to receive threatening,
anonymous notes, she realizes she has to uncover the truth before someone else
gets hurt... Someone like her.
Honestly, with a description like that, who
wouldn’t want to read the book? Turns out the hype was not worth it at all...
And I don’t like being mean to authors as I know how much work goes into
writing a book. The problem is you need to grab your audience and keep them
there!
So here Ruby has been convicted of a double
murder but let out because of a mistrial and has just pitched up at Harper’s
house, where she used to live. As we move through Harper’s POV, we see how she
sees Ruby as manipulative, and the rest of the neighbourhood don’t want her
there at all, as they believe she is the murderer.
This could have played out very cleverly
but there were strikes against it from the beginning. First, none of the
characters were written in a way I could connect with them. I felt nothing for
any of them, so whatever happened to one or all of them made no difference to
me. I need to feel something for at least one character to make me believe the
story. Here was a wishy washy version of all of them.
Second: it was very drawn out with far too
many arbitrary things happening in the story. If this is meant to be filled
with suspense or a thriller, then keep me on my toes throughout and don’t let
me want to put it down in case I miss something. With this book, I questioned
picking it up again.
Third: there are smart whodunnits and plots
put together so cleverly you never see them coming. Here it was not a shock and
actually a little silly. I got to the end and wondered if I was really supposed
to believe this was the ending.
I’m all for a slow burn but there was never
really fire happening here. A bunch of paranoid people, scared of anything
happening (but patrolling the neighbourhood in the dark on their own at
night?), keeping watch on cameras, and NOT TALKING TO EACH OTHER! If someone had
just said something, it would all have come out!
I’ve heard her other books are better but
based on this one, I won’t be reading any more of hers. A pity...
No comments:
Post a Comment